Welcome to iraf.net Saturday, April 20 2024 @ 12:05 AM GMT

Forum Index > Help Desk > General IRAF New Topic Post Reply
 Problems with Post-installation/No CL file

gcardonav
 06/10/2010 06:24PM (Read 10112 times)  
++---
Junior

Hi:I just installed the newest version of IRAF in my computer since my computer is new I decided it will be the best way. My problem is that I finish my installation and now that I am trying to create a login it gives me the following error, any ideas:[code:1:a2cc1b97f2]========================================================================
Congratulations! IRAF has been successfully installed on this system.
======================================================================== To begin using the system simply log in as any user and from the
directory you wish to use as your iraf login directory type: % mkiraf # create a login.cl file
% cl # start IRAFThe 'iraf' user is already configured with a login.cl file so a simple
'cl' command is sufficient to start the system.Additional information can be found at the IRAF.NET web site: http://iraf.netPlease contact http://iraf.net with any questions or problems.
========================================================================
================ Installation Completed With No Errors ===============
========================================================================[roam-167-232:/iraf/unix/hlib] gcardonav% cd
[roam-167-232:~] gcardonav% mkiraf
Initialize uparm? (y|n):
Terminal types: xgterm,xterm,gterm,vt640,vt100,etc.
Enter terminal type: xgterm,xterm
A new LOGIN.CL file has been created in the current directory.
You may wish to review and edit this file to change the defaults.
[roam-167-232:~] gcardonav% cl
cl: Command not found.[/code:1:a2cc1b97f2]I checked my /usr/local/bin directory and there is no [b:a2cc1b97f2]cl[/b:a2cc1b97f2] file. Any ideas ?
Thanks,Gus

Profile Email
fitz
 06/10/2010 06:24PM  
AAAAA
Admin

Two things: The response to the terminal prompt in MKIRAF is not a list of possible values, it is one and only one value.Second, 'Command not found' means the 'cl' command isn't in your path. If it's not in /usr/local/bin then either that isn't the directory you specified to the install script, or else you ran the install script with a '-n' no-op flag so nothing was actually installed. The cl command is in the same directory as the mkiraf command. If this is still SciSoft then the cl command will be in that directory tree somewhere.

Profile Email
gcardonav
++---
Junior

Hi:I been looking for the cl file but its not anywhere. My friends said that I could the one we used at school and copy it in the usr/local/bin folder but I dont believe that will work.
I ran also the mkiraf, just to make sure I did not ran it with -n flag (would this flag be typed?)
How is the cl file installed, maybe there is something I am doing when I run the ./install or the mkiraf.Gus
[code:1:2e561c5abb]% which mkiraf
/usr/local/bin/mkiraf
[Tavo:~] gcardonav% which cl
cl: Command not found[/code:1:2e561c5abb]

Profile Email
fitz
AAAAA
Admin

The 'cl' command (and 'mkiraf') is installed as a symlink in the "local bin directory" you specify to the install script. These links point to the actual script in the $iraf/unix/hlib directory (e.g. cl.csh and mkiraf.csh). Note that the install script also edits these files with thinks like the path to the iraf root directory so unless the paths are the same simply copying the script from another machine won't always work.In Scisoft, the command may be in the /Applications/scisoft/all/bin directory but I think these move around between versions. If you run the IRAF install script and specify the right path you should end up with a 'cl' command in /usr/local/bin. Verify that the cl.csh script does exist in $iraf/unix/hlib though. If you need to reinstall anything, get a fresh version from the distribution site (either us or scisoft) but the possibly modified version a friend of a friend got from someplace that one time .....

Profile Email
gcardonav
++---
Junior

Hi:I get what you said, so now I am trying the uninstall but its not going. This is my problem. At the bottom you see that I do have those files. I try the install again. I would like to send you a doc file with all the entries durring the installation, becuase I am still having no [color=red:5c0f630d05]CL[/color:5c0f630d05] file. Let me knowGus
[code:1:5c0f630d05] IRAF System Un-installation
---------------------------**********************************************************************
WARNING: This script must be run as root for changes to take effect.
If you decide to proceed, the 'no-op' flag will be enabled
by default. No changes will be made to the system files,
however you will be able to see what the script does.
**********************************************************************Proceed with a no-op uninstallation anyway (y)? y
Files to be deleted to remove IRAF from this machine: All IRAF commands found in /usr/local/bin, including cl mkiraf mkmlist generic mkpkg
rmbin rmfiles rtar wtar xc
xpp rpp xyacc sgidispatch
You will be prompted before any files are removed. The system may
be restored by rerunning the IRAF install script on this machine.Hit <CR> to proceed, 'q' to quit:
Remove IRAF Commands in /usr/local/bin (y/n/q)? (y) y
Warning: /usr/local/bin/mkmlist was not found on this machine.... Warning: /usr/local/bin/generic was not found on this machine.... Warning: /usr/local/bin/rmbin was not found on this machine.... Warning: /usr/local/bin/rmfiles was not found on this machine.... Warning: /usr/local/bin/rtar was not found on this machine.... Warning: /usr/local/bin/sgidispatch was not found on this machine.... Warning: /usr/local/bin/wtar was not found on this machine.... Warning: /usr/local/bin/rpp was not found on this machine.... Warning: /usr/local/bin/xpp was not found on this machine.... Warning: /usr/local/bin/xyacc was not found on this machine.... Warning: /usr/local/bin/xc was not found on this machine....iraf: Undefined variable.
[Tavo:/iraf/unix/hlib] gcardonav% ls /usr/local/bin/
ecl ism_wcspix.e obmsh rmfiles stuff xc ximtool-old
convertwaiveredfits mkiraf pyraf rpp unstuff xgterm xpp
fitsdiff mkmlist resize rtar vximtool ximtool xtapemon
generic mkpkg rmbin sgidispatch wtar ximtool-alt xyacc
[Tavo:/iraf/unix/hlib] gcardonav%
[/code:1:5c0f630d05]

Profile Email
fitz
AAAAA
Admin

Run the install script first, this will create the links. Then if you want, run the uninstall script to clean up, but running the install script should fix everything. Note scisoft does its own setup so uninstall won't remove that.

Profile Email
gcardonav
++---
Junior

I ran it. both from the scisoft software and from the iraf_v215, I ran install and then the uninstall is not recognizing the local iraf diretory. Still neither install its creating the cl file in the /usr/local/bin/. Sorry for all this trouble but I am really stuck here.Gus[code:1:76a134e0ed]You will be prompted before any files are removed. The system may
be restored by rerunning the IRAF install script on this machine.Hit <CR> to proceed, 'q' to quit:
Local iraf commands directory? /usr/local/bin
IRAF commands not found in /usr/local/bin, please try again...
Local iraf commands directory? /usr/local/bin/
IRAF commands not found in /usr/local/bin/, please try again...
Local iraf commands directory? [/code:1:76a134e0ed]

Profile Email
fitz
AAAAA
Admin

Are you using the 'sudo' command or logged in as 'root'? These are required to modify system directories, so try "sudo install" to run the install script and then verify the files were created in /usr/local/bin

Profile Email
gcardonav
++---
Junior

I ran sudo uninstall and it work but it gave me this at the end
[code:1:1c6ea4c593] IRAF System Un-installation
---------------------------Files to be deleted to remove IRAF from this machine: All IRAF commands found in /usr/local/bin, including cl mkiraf mkmlist generic mkpkg
rmbin rmfiles rtar wtar xc
xpp rpp xyacc sgidispatch
You will be prompted before any files are removed. The system may
Remove IRAF Commands in /usr/local/bin (y/n/q)? (y) y
iraf: Undefined variable.
[Tavo:/iraf/unix/hlib] gcardonav% ls /usr/local/bin
convertwaiveredfits fitsdiff obmsh resize unstuff xgterm ximtool-alt xtapemon
ecl ism_wcspix.e pyraf stuff vximtool ximtool ximtool-old
[Tavo:/iraf/unix/hlib] gcardonav% [/code:1:1c6ea4c593]
What is with the [b:1c6ea4c593]iraf: undefined variable[/b:1c6ea4c593]I then tried the installation and it ended up this way[code:1:1c6ea4c593]========================================================================
========================= Begin Installation =========================
======================================================================== Editing Paths
-------------
Editing the iraf user .login/.cshrc paths ... [ OK ]
Editing iraf/imdir paths into system files ... [ OK ] Checking File Permissions
-------------------------
Checking iraf file permissions ... [ OK ]
Checking imdir permissions ... [ OK ]
Reset /tmp sticky bit setting ... [ OK ]
Checking alloc.e permissions ... [ OK ] Creating File Links
-------------------
Checking for /iraf symlink ... [ OK ]
Checking /usr/include directory ... [ OK ]
Creating <iraf.h> symlink ... ln: /usr/include/iraf.h: File exists
[ FAIL ]
Creating iraf command links in local bin dir ... [ OK ]
Marking system update time hlib$utime ... [ OK ] Creating Graphics Device Files
------------------------------
Checking /usr/local/lib directory ... [ OK ]
Creating /usr/local/lib/imtoolrc link ... ln: imtoolrc: File exists
[ FAIL ]
Checking if termcap file contains an XGterm entry ... [ OK ]
Checking graphcap file for XGterm/imtool entries ... [ OK ]
================= Installation Completed With Errors =================
[/code:1:1c6ea4c593]but now not even mkiraf is working. Could it be something out of the temp memory. Should I restart my computer ??Gus
[code:1:1c6ea4c593]
[Tavo:~] gcardonav% ls /usr/local/bin/
cl mkiraf rmbin unstuff ximtool-alt
convertwaiveredfits mkmlist rmfiles vximtool ximtool-old
ecl mkpkg rpp wtar xpp
fitsdiff obmsh rtar xc xtapemon
generic pyraf sgidispatch xgterm xyacc
ism_wcspix.e resize stuff ximtool
[Tavo:~] gcardonav% cd
[Tavo:~] gcardonav% mkiraf
mkiraf: Command not found.
[Tavo:~] gcardonav% cl
cl: Command not found.
[Tavo:~] gcardonav%[/code:1:1c6ea4c593]

Profile Email
gcardonav
++---
Junior

ok update. I ran uninstall, and the I ran install. It seems like it was working over again, amazingly. The I restarted my computer and now I get the following error
[code:1:ac4c55eb02]gcardonav@Tavo.local% cl
mach: Command not found.
arch: Undefined variable.
gcardonav@Tavo.local%[/code:1:ac4c55eb02]Here is the weird thing I did. First I notice that when it was asking me for the iraf folder I will write /iraf, which then will be looking for the /iraf/iraf folder which does not exist. So I moved everything to the /iraf/iraf folder and then ran the ./install and it worked. After I restarted my computer it does not work again. Another note is tha my unix prompt used to say
[code:1:ac4c55eb02][Tavo:/iraf/unix/hlib] gcardonav%[/code:1:ac4c55eb02]but now it says this [code:1:ac4c55eb02]gcardonav@Tavo.local%[/code:1:ac4c55eb02]Why is this, would you know, or is this a ore unix type of question.Gus

Profile Email
fitz
AAAAA
Admin

Several things: The 'arch' environment variable is set in the cl.csh script, and 'mach' is set in e.g. irafuser.csh however it is not a command so I can't explain the message other than to speculate it is coming from a scisoft setup script called from your .login or .cshrc file.Second, the 'iraf root' directory is normally /iraf/iraf, NOT /iraf. When you say you moved 'everything' do you mean the entire iraf tree or just the hlib stuff? As for the prompt change, it all depends where you set it. Normally you'd do this in the .login file (you can "source .login" to load it manually from your unix login directory), whether this gets loaded automatically depends on several factors such as whether this is an Xterm/XGterm window with the 'loginShell' resource set).

Profile Email
gcardonav
++---
Junior

Well lets see. I gave up on the scisoft software and decided to download the lastest iraf version available, the one located in your main page https://iraf.net/ftp/iraf/v215-ALPHA/iraf_v215-src.tar.gz. I did the uninstall from the scisoft and then with the iraf_v215 software. After this I ran the the ./install from the v215 software, but this still gives me the same problem. Does the system still pointing or reading out of the scisoft software no matter if I did the uninstall ?As for the iraf root directory I move the entire /iraf tree into an /iraf/iraf so for example here is how things are now
[code:1:04ac9102a2]gcardonav@Tavo.local% pwd
/
gcardonav@Tavo.local% cd iraf
gcardonav@Tavo.local% ls
total 0
0 iraf/
gcardonav@Tavo.local% cd iraf
gcardonav@Tavo.local% ls
total 432
0 HS.PCIX.GEN 0 bin.freebsd/ 8 bin.redhat@ 0 local/ 0 tables/
0 IRAF.NET 0 bin.generic/ 0 bin.sunos/ 0 math/ 392 tags
0 IS.PORT.GEN 0 bin.linux/ 0 dev/ 16 mkpkg 0 unix/
8 Makefile 0 bin.linux64/ 0 doc/ 0 noao/ 0 util/
8 bin@ 0 bin.macintel/ 0 imdirs/ 0 pkg/
0 bin.cygwin/ 0 bin.macosx/ 0 lib/ 0 sys/
gcardonav@Tavo.local%[/code:1:04ac9102a2]
Finaly for the prompt shell, which shell is the one that is[code:1:04ac9102a2][Tavo:/iraf/unix/hlib] gcardonav%[/code:1:04ac9102a2]]Gus

Profile Email
fitz
AAAAA
Admin

[quote:5ebfdabf62]Does the system still pointing or reading out of the scisoft software no matter if I did the uninstall ? [/quote:5ebfdabf62]I can't say, I don't know what the scisoft uninstall script does and whether it works to remove iraf.[quote:5ebfdabf62]As for the iraf root directory I move the entire /iraf tree into an /iraf/iraf so for example here is how things are now [/quote:5ebfdabf62]That all looks fine, although the /iraf/iraf/imdirs directory should be moved back to /iraf/imdirs (if running the install script didn't recreate it).[quote:5ebfdabf62]Finaly for the prompt shell, which shell is the one that is[/quote:5ebfdabf62]The prompt can be set anyway you like for any shell. Use "echo $SHELL" at the unix prompt to see what shell you use.[/quote]

Profile Email
gcardonav
++---
Junior

I ran the installation once again, and I got this error:
[code:1:0f3ff6494a]Creating /usr/local/lib/imtoolrc link ... [ FAIL ]
[/code:1:0f3ff6494a]
So its not giving me a complete installation

Profile Email
fitz
AAAAA
Admin

That stage of the script might fail if you aren't using 'sudo' or logged in as root, or if there is no /usr/local/lib directory on your machine. It appears the script will check for a /usr/local and create it if needed, but not /usr/local/lib.As for the 'cl' command problems, try running it as[code:1:a497f18bb4]csh -x /iraf/iraf/unix/hlib/cl.csh[/code:1:a497f18bb4]This will trace the script as it executes and show you what's happening when the error is printed. Use "which cl" at the unix prompt to find out which command is being used, any path with scisoft in it means the uninstall wasn't complete so just remove the scisoft dir from your $path definition (.login/.cshrc/.bashrc/etc) and log back in. If you specified /usr/local/bin as the 'local bin directory' to the install script, then 'which cl' should return /usr/local/bin/cl.

Profile Email
gcardonav
++---
Junior

When I ran that in the prompt it entered into iraf. Here is what I get in the prompt but I bet this is not letting me know where the problem lies. Is there anyway I can point out the cl command to go to the cl.csh in my iraf/iraf/unix/hlib and not the scisoft one.But the strange thing is that i ran the which command and I got this
1:20D827402E Formatted Code
gcardonav@Tavo.local% which cl
./cl
gcardonav@Tavo.local%
[/code:1:20d827402e]

Why would the install put the cl here ? is this the problem trying to log in into iraf ?,

Gus
[code:1:20d827402e]
gcardonav@Tavo.local% csh -x /iraf/iraf/unix/hlib/cl.csh

set cl_binary = ecl.e
if &#40; `echo $0 | egrep ecl` !=  &#41; then
egrep ecl
echo /iraf/iraf/unix/hlib/cl.csh
if &#40; `echo $0 | egrep vo` !=  &#41; then
egrep vo
echo /iraf/iraf/unix/hlib/cl.csh
if &#40; 0 &gt; 0 &#41; then
set d_iraf = /iraf/iraf/
if &#40; 1 &#41; then
if &#40; ! -e /iraf/iraf/ &#41; then
endif
if &#40; 1 == 0 &#41; then
if &#40; 0 &gt; 0 &#41; then
set ACTUAL_ARCH = `$iraf/unix/hlib/irafarch.csh -actual`
/iraf/iraf//unix/hlib/irafarch.csh -actual
if &#40; 1 &#41; then
if &#40; -e /iraf/iraf//bin.macosx/ecl.e &#41; then
set MACH = macosx
else
setenv arch .macosx
else
if &#40; 1 &#41; then
if &#40; macosx ==  &#41; then
setenv arch .macosx
endif
setenv IRAFBIN /iraf/iraf/bin.macosx/
set file = /iraf/iraf/bin.macosx/ecl.e
if &#40; -e /iraf/iraf/bin.macosx/ecl.e &#41; then
exec /iraf/iraf/bin.macosx/ecl.e
/iraf/iraf/bin.macosx/ecl.e

NOAO/IRAFNET PC-IRAF Revision 2.15ALPHA Wed Feb 24 16&#58;12&#58;11 MST 2010
    This is the DEVELOPMENT version of IRAF V2.15 supporting PC systems.

Welcome to IRAF.  To list the available commands, type ? or ??.  To get
  detailed information about a command, type `help &lt;command&gt;'.  To run  a
  command  or  load  a  package,  type  its name.   Type  `bye' to exit a
  package, or `logout' to get out  of the CL.    Type `news' to find  out
  what is new in the version of the system you are using.  

Visit http&#58;//iraf.net if you have questions or to report problems.

The following commands or packages are currently defined&#58;

ace.        dimsum.     images.     nlocal.     proto.      tables.
      color.      fitsutil.   language.   nmisc.      softools.   utilities.
      ctio.       gemini.     lists.      noao.       spectime.   vol.
      dataio.     gmisc.      mscred.     obsolete.   stsdas.    
      dbms.       guiapps.    mxtools.    plot.       system.    

ecl&gt;
[/code:1:20d827402e]

Profile Email
fitz
AAAAA
Admin

Do NOT run iraf from the hlib directory. Go to your normal unix directory, type 'mkiraf' to create a login.cl and uparm directory (only need to do this once) and then type 'cl' to startup. From your home directory, 'which cl' should point to /usr/local/bin/cl, it may be that sometime earlier a 'cl' link was created in the hlib directory.Until you sort out what directory you are in and how to get the 'which cl' to find the correct path automatically, you can always explicitly give the command as /usr/local/bin/cl to startup (which seems to work on your machine).

Profile Email

Content generated in: 0.62 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

Normal Topic Normal Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed