Welcome to iraf.net Monday, December 18 2017 @ 05:09 AM GMT
VO for the iPhone/iPod Touch
- Friday, December 28 2007 @ 07:35 PM GMT
- Contributed by: fitz
- Views: 2,001
A web page description with a test interface and screenshots is also available. This app provides access to hundreds of image and catalog services, and thousands of published journal tables, from a mobile device. Image displays and table scrolling use the native interfaces of the device.
See below for a full list of features.
The test interface is only an approximation of what you'd see on the actual device, and please note that non-Safari browsers may not work at all.
iPortal is a one-box Google-like interface styled to fit the screen of an iPhone/iPod. Its features include:
- Display an image of any part of the sky (color if in the SDSS DR6 footprint, B&W from DSS otherwise).
- Full keyword search of the Registry. Categorized resources found may be browsed by type, or user can drill down to view full description, including a 'Try It' feature
- Object name resolution: an image of the object is displayed along with the resolved coords
- Arbitrary coordinate input: Sexagesimal (whitespace or colon-delimited) or decimal values allowed, and image of those coords is displayed.
- Cone search capability for Cone services, results table displayed on the interface
- SIAP capability for image services. Results containing a Graphics JPEG/GIF have links to the image displayed on the interface
- Full access to Vizier tables displayed locally.
- Zero download for user, all done on server-side (w/ VOClient) and web pages
Example inputs might be things like:
x-ray binaries Keyword search ngc4258 or M51 Object Names 13:29:55.72 +47:13:53.4 Coordinates
Qualifiers may be put on the input to constrain the search to a particular type (see the Help button). Coordinates may be decimal or sexagesimal (colon or whitespace-delimited)Further development (e.g. a Dashboard Widget version) and similar apps are planned, please feel free to send me your comments, bug report or suggestions.